There are several occasions when we have received requests from our customers in London asking us to replace their locks. But when we get on site, they are normally surprised when we present them with the option of rekeying as an alternative to replacing the whole lock. Many customers are not aware that rekeying is a cheaper option to lock replacement and also find it difficult to comprehend the difference between rekeying and replacing the whole lock system. So what exactly is the difference between the two and under what circumstances should you rekey or replace your lock?
Lock rekeying involves changing the tumblers or the wafer configuration to let it function with a new key while rejecting the old one. Rekeying thus alters the inside configuration of the lock while leaving the rest of the components intact. The process usually takes a short time to complete especially if you get the services of competent locksmiths.
When to rekey
The main reason to rekey is simply to enhance the security and safety of your premises by ensuring that no other unauthorized party has keys that they can use to gain access into your premises. The situations that might make it necessary for you to rekey your locks include the following-:
- you move to a new house and you don’t know the number of keys that are out there that can gain access to your new house.
- your tenants have moved out and they have not surrendered the keys to the premises.
- an employee has left a job yet they still have keys to the office.
- When your key is lost or has been stolen
- you want to enhance the security of your premises if you haven’t rekeyed in a long time.
If you are faced with any of the above situations or you need any other locksmith services in London, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to offer high quality and affordable rekey services to you.
Lock replacement on the other hand happens when you need to replace the whole lock system. This implies that you will be doing away with your current lock and installing a new one with new set of keys. Under normal circumstances, a rekey would be enough to enhance the security of your premises but there are certain situations that might necessitate the need to replace the whole lock. Such situations include-:
- your premises have been broken into –when you are a victim of burglary and your locks are tampered with, rekeying might to be recommended as sometimes it might be impossible to rekey a lock that burglars have tampered with. In such a case, lock replacement is the best solution.
- the locks become faulty due to prolonged use – with continued use, locks are bound to lose on their integrity as a result of the normal tear and wear. If you have used your locks for a long period of time and you are beginning to experience certain difficulties in operating it, then it will be a good idea to replace it with a new one. Simply contact us at and we will be able to replace any kind of locks you might have.
Rekeying and Lock Replacement in London
You can rely on us to offer you with the best rekeying and lock replacements services in London. We have qualified and competent technicians who use modern tools and equipment to ensure fast, safe and efficient rekeying or replacement of any lock type. Contact us today to learn more about these and many other locksmith services that we have for you.